MLK Labor is a democratic, worker-run organization.
The MLK Labor Executive Board consists of members representing a variety of industries and constituency groups. The Executive Board, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, President, and Vice President are elected to three-year terms by the delegate body.
MLK Labor Leadership
Nicole Grant, IBEW 46
nicole (at) mlklabor.org
Nicole Grant was appointed to serve as Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the MLK Labor in October 2015, the first woman to lead King County’s labor council in its 130-year history. Her mission is to build power for all workers and grow the labor movement. Her leadership campaigns include $15 for Seattle, affordable housing, supporting the Council’s affiliates, organizing efforts at Uber, and the Seattle Education Association’s strike.
While earning her bachelor’s degree at the University of Washington in Politics, Economy, and Law, she began an apprenticeship with IBEW Local 46. She served as Executive Director of the Certified Electrical Workers of Washington and as a Vice President of the Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO, representing the WA Young Emerging Labor Leaders. In 2011, Grant was honored with the WSLC’s Elsie Schrader Award for outstanding advocacy on behalf of union women. She currently serves on the Community Economic Revitalization Board, the Puget Sound Labor Agency Executive Board, the Harry Bridges Labor Center Visiting Committee, and the Seattle Labor Temple Association Board of Directors.
Grant was re-elected Secretary-Treasurer in November 2018.
Dustin Lambro, Teamsters Local 117
Stefan Moritz, UNITE HERE Local 8
MLK Labor Staff
- Deputy Executive Secretary: Katie Garrow – katie (at) MLKLabor.org
- Organizing Director: Peter Hasegawa – Peter (at) MLKLabor.org
- Operations Director: Annie Wise – Annie (at) MLKLabor.org
- Communications Director: Charlie Lapham – Charles (at) MLKLabor.org
MLK Labor Executive Board
The Executive Board meets the third Wednesday of every month at 2 PM.
Elected Trustees (Members-At-Large)
- Marsha Botzer, Plumbers, Pipe Fitters, Refrigeration & HVAC 32
- Karen Hart, SEIU 925
- Michael Gonzales, Teamsters 174
Board Members Representing Trade Sections
- Aircraft Trades: Joel Funfar, SPEEA/IFPTE 2001
- Automotive Trades: Leonard Smith, Teamsters 117
- Building Trades: Monty Anderson, Seattle/King County Building Trades
- Entertainment Trades: Shellea Allen, SAG-AFTRA Seattle
- Food and Allied Trades: vacant
- Health Care: Robin Wyss, SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
- Higher Education: David Parsons, UAW 4121
- Industrial Trades: Jon Holden, Machinists 751
- K-12: Phyllis Campano, Seattle Education Association
- Metal Trades: Todd Mitchell, Heat and Frost Insulators 7
- Private Sector: Zenia Javalera, SEIU 609
- Public Safety: Kenny Stuart, IAFF 27
- Public Sector: Mary Keefe, Teamsters 763
- Transportation Trades: Kenneth Price, ATU 587
Board Members Representing Constituency Groups
- A. Philip Randolph Institute: Paul Thompson, Laborers 242
- Asian Pacific American Labor Alliance: Ligaya Domingo, SEIU Healthcare 1199NW
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists: Claude Burfect, WFSE 341
- Labor Council For Latin American Advancement: Eric Perez, Ironworkers 86
- Pride At Work: Mike Andrew, UAW 1981
- Washington Alliance for Retired Americans: Don Bennett, Lettercarriers 79