March 17, 2020
COVID-19 threatens the well-being of working people across King County. We have put together a list of resources for working people as we work to combat the threats this virus poses to our health and economy.
Resources for workers:
**Please obey all recommendations issued by public health officials.**
- Coronavirus call centers:
- King County: 206-477-3977
- Washington State: 800-525-0127
- Find out what benefits apply to impacted workers
- Affordability programs for Seattle residents (resources for food, childcare, utility assistance, transportation)
- Unemployment Insurance information (administered through the State of Washington)
- King County coronavirus resource page
- Seattle Public Schools resources
- Seattle schools student lunch support map
- AFL-CIO COVID-19 resources
- UFCW Local 21 page for workers
Union employers that are hiring:
- Grocery and Healthcare Jobs: https://www.ufcwjobs.com/ UFCW employers are hiring thousands of workers in Washington State right now. Suggested positions to apply for include Cashier, Clicklist, Grocery, .com Sales, Driver or Overnight Stocker. Meat Dept positions are some of the highest-paid in the store (halal meats are produced offsite and brought in prepackaged).
- Teamster Jobs:
- Teamsters Local 117 reports that there are several Teamster employers hiring, including for supply chain jobs for the above-mentioned grocery chains, plus other positions. Employers include Darigold, Waste Management, Department of Corrections, several city and county governments, and others. Click here for more information.
- Teamsters Local 174 has several openings for Safeway & Albertsons delivery drivers. Click here for more information.
- Security and Janitorial Jobs: SEIU Local 6-represented employers such as Allied Universal (security) and ABM (janitorial) are currently hiring. Click here for more information.
- Public Sector Jobs: The state agency that oversees and operates the Washington state unemployment system is rapidly ramping up its staff and has multiple positions open, particularly for intake specialists. These are great union jobs, represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees/AFSCME Council 28, with family wages and benefits. Get more information here and here.